Sports

F1 Chinese Grand Prix postponed due to coronavirus

Formula One’s Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed due to the recent outbreak of coronavirus in the country, organisers said on Wednesday. The race, in what is an important market for Formula One, was originally set to be held in Shanghai on April 19, but the governing body FIA and Formula One said in a statement that they had jointly decided to postpone it.
“As a result of continued health concerns and with the World Health Organisation declaring the coronavirus as a global health emergency, the FIA and Formula 1 have taken these measures,” the two bodies said.
“The FIA and Formula 1 continue to work closely with the teams, race promoter, CAMF and the local authorities to monitor the situation as it develops.
“All parties will take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for the Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.”
The flu-like virus has killed more than 1,100 people and infected more than 44,000 in China after it first emerged in the central city of Wuhan late last year.
A host of international sporting events have been cancelled due to coronavirus, including the all-electric Formula E motor racing series that abandoned plans for a race in the Chinese city of Sanya next month.
Speaking to reporters last week, Formula One’s motorsport managing director Ross Brawn had said the sport would look to reschedule the Chinese race rather than cancel it altogether.
The sport’s Chief Executive Chase Carey said fitting the race back into an already packed calendar with few spare weekends would pose a challenge.
“At this point it’s tough to make too many specific plans when there are so many unknowns around it,” Carey told Reuters in an interview at a conference in the Azeri capital and Formula One host Baku.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close